This hearty, savory recipe for Greek Gigantes Beans, which is totally plant-based (vegan) and gluten-free, is impressed by one memorable meal I loved within the Island of Crete in Greece. One in every of my favourite issues to order whereas in Greece was one of many myriad bean dishes on most menus. One particularly that I liked at an lovable taverna within the village of Vamos in Crete featured gigantes beans—actually gigantic beans! These giant white, fleshy beans are so wealthy and satisfying! You will discover dried gigantes beans in specialty retailers or on-line, or you’ll be able to substitute dried giant lima beans. I introduced a bag of gigantes beans again house with me from my journey, which was the inspiration for this recipe. Gigantes beans are historically served in a tomato vegetable broth, which is featured on this simple Greek bean recipe.
I’ve been so impressed by the plant-based Mediterranean flavors in Greece, ever since my first go to there. Gigantes beans or giant lima beans are an ideal match for this recipe. The big fleshiness of the beans work effectively on this plant-based entrée.
This recipe is oh so easy—dried beans, onions, garlic, carrots, tomatoes, herbs, and a few good olive oil (after all!). That’s it! Simply 9 components (not together with pantry staples), but the outcomes are so satisfying and nourishing—for the thoughts, physique, and soul. Serve this recipe with a crusty entire grain bread (as I had in that tiny taverna, whereas the chef’s cat rubbed towards my ankle!) so you’ll be able to sop up each final little bit of the great vegetable broth on the backside of your plate!
This mix can be a diet match made in heaven. Oh, and add a crisp Greek salad for a totally balanced meal that’s scrumptious and really easy on the pocketbook. You’ll really feel such as you’re on a visit to Greece with this menu. The one factor you’ll be lacking is a bottle of native wine, which is well remedied.
Watch me make this recipe in my Instagram Dwell Plant-Based mostly Cooking Present right here.
This basic, rustic, hearty Greek Gigantes Beans recipe (which is vegan and gluten-free) is predicated on giant white beans, tomatoes, greens, and herbs. Should you can’t discover gigantes beans, simply use giant lima beans.
- Place beans in a pot, cowl with water and a lid, and soak in a single day (8 hours). Drain the soaking water and put aside.
- In a big heavy pot or dutch oven, warmth olive oil over medium warmth. Add onion, garlic, and carrots and sauté for five minutes whereas stirring.
- Add oregano, rosemary, marjoram, thyme, black pepper, and salt (non-obligatory), stir and cook dinner for a further 2 minutes.
- Add soaked drained beans, 5 cups contemporary water, and tomato paste.
- Cowl, convey to a boil, cut back warmth to medium-low and simmer for about 1 – 1 ½ hours, stirring often, till beans are tender but agency on the skin. *Add water to interchange that misplaced to condensation, as wanted. Ought to make a thick, stew-like consistency.
- Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with rosemary, if desired.
- Serve instantly.
Immediate Pot Instructions: Place all components within the container of the Immediate Pot. Press “Bean/Chili” setting. Prepare dinner in accordance with producer’s instructions. Serve instantly.
Sluggish Cooker Instructions: Place all components within the container of the Sluggish Cooker. Prepare dinner on excessive for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-12 hours. Prepare dinner in accordance with producer’s instructions. Serve instantly.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time: 1 hour half-hour
- Class: Facet Dish
- Delicacies: American, Mediterranean
- Serving Dimension: 1 serving
- Energy: 204
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 40 mg
- Fats: 3 g
- Saturated Fats: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 11 g
Key phrases: beans, bean facet dish, gigantes beans
For different Mediterranean recipes, take a look at:
This publish might include affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data, click on right here.