Neutrogena Hydro Enhance Water Gel is a kind of moisturizers I’d have snubbed till a few years in the past. No, not as a result of it’s drugstore. Olay Complete Results is certainly one of my fave moisturizers, and it’s drugstore, too.
No, it’s as a result of it has NO antioxidants. Its components solely hydrates pores and skin. It has no anti-aging properties. However after just a few years in London, I’ve a brand new discovered appreciation for moisture. You need to use the perfect anti-aging merchandise on this planet, but when your pores and skin isn’t well-hydrated, it’s all for nothing. With out correct hydration, your wrinkles look 10x worse.
In Italy, I might get away with minimal moisture and plenty of retinol. Shifting to London modified that. That first winter on my Italian skincare routine turned my pores and skin right into a flaky, Sahara-like mess for a month. What introduced it again to well being was switching that components: a number of hydration and minimal retinol. Now, I’m again to a greater ratio, however I’ve discovered my lesson: a easy, Uber-moisturising components has its place in a great skincare routine.
This moisturiser guarantees to present your pores and skin loads of moisture. Does it ship? Must you purchase it? I’ve put it to the check (and seemed on the science) to seek out out:
About The Model: Neutrogena
Based in 1930 by Emanuel Stolaroff below the identify Natone, the model rapidly grew and expanded into retail markets. Quick ahead 14 years and Stolaroff purchased from Belgian chemist Edmond Fromont the rights to distribute his patented components of a gentle clear cleaning soap that eliminated impurities with out drying out pores and skin, within the US.
The corporate modified its identify to Neutrogena firms in 1962. Since then, the model has expanded its line to supply anti-acne and anti-aging properties which might be efficient with out breaking the financial institution. In 1994, Johnson & Johnson purchased Neutrogena for a whooping $924 million. The transfer helped the model broaden into newer markets, together with India, South Africa and China. Right this moment, you’ll find it in 70 international locations everywhere in the world.
Neutrogena claims to place science on the coronary heart of all the things it does. I’ve to present it kudos for being one of many few drugstore manufacturers to make use of retinol and different anti-aging actives earlier than anybody else did. The formulation are nonetheless fairly primary, as you’d anticipate from drugstore skincare, however they work.
Key Substances In Neutrogena Hydro Enhance Water Gel: What Makes It Work?
SODIUM HYALURONATE TO HYDRATE SKIN
Sodium hyaluronate its a type of hyaluronic acid that pulls and binds to the pores and skin as much as 1000 occasions its weight in water. Plus, it really works properly each in excessive and low humidity situations.
When pores and skin has that a lot moisture, it plumps up. This alone is sufficient to make your advantageous strains look smaller – quickly. Hydration additionally makes pores and skin gentle and provides the complexion a dewy glow (assume Korean pores and skin).
SILICONES TO MINIMIZE FINE LINES
The bottom of this cream is made up of silicones. It’s not as unhealthy as you assume. Silicones do a variety of good issues in skincare:
- Improve texture: They permit the cream to glide on easily, with out tugging or pulling.
- Fill in advantageous strains and wrinkles: It’s a trick to make them look quickly smaller.
- Softens pores and skin: It makes it really feel silky gentle to the contact.
They don’t even suffocate pores and skin: silicones have a specific molecular construction made up of bigger molecules with wider areas between every molecule. They create a barrier that retains moisture in however nonetheless permits pores and skin to perspire.
Need assistance creating the perfect skincare routine for you oily pores and skin? Signal as much as the e-newsletter under to obtain the “Oily Skincare Routine Cheatsheet” (it contains product suggestions, too!).
The Relaxation Of The Components & Substances
NOTE: The colors point out the effectiveness of an ingredient. It’s ILLEGAL to place poisonous and dangerous elements in skincare merchandise.
- Inexperienced: It’s efficient, confirmed to work, and helps the product do the absolute best job to your pores and skin.
- Yellow: There’s not a lot proof it really works (at the very least, but).
- Purple: What is that this doing right here?!
- Water: The principle solvent on this moisturiser, it helps dissolve the opposite elements within the components.
- Glycerin: A humectant that attracts moisture from the air into your pores and skin and binds it there. The additional hydration makes your pores and skin softer and smoother, plumps up advantageous strains and wrinkles, and brightens the complexion.
- Trehalose: A plant sugar with water-binding properties that will increase pores and skin’s moisture content material and retains it hydrated.
- Ethylhexylglycerin: It makes pores and skin softer, hydrates it, and has delicate preservative properties that assist the cream be secure and efficient for longer.
- Cetearyl Olivate: An emulsifier that helps water and oily mix collectively, enhancing the feel of the moisturiser.
- Polyacrylamide: It acts as a film-former and suspending/binding agent in skincare merchandise.
- C13-14 Isoparaffin: A petroleum-derived ingredient with a wax-like texture that makes pores and skin softer. It additionally enhances the feel of the components.
- Sodium Olivate: An emulsifier that forestalls the oily and watery elements of a components from separating.
- Laureth-7 Carbomer: It helps water and oils combine collectively, enhancing the feel and really feel of the components.
- Sodium Hydroxide: It helps to regulate the pH of merchandise.
- Chlorphenesin: A weak preservative that forestalls micro organism contamination. It additionally retains skincare merchandise from smelling very unhealthy.
- Phenoxyethanol: A preservative that kills micro organism and germs earlier than they’ll spoil your product.
- Parfum: It makes the product odor good, however it’s irritating.
- CI 42090: It offers the cream a blue tint. Like all colourants, it could possibly irritate very delicate pores and skin.
This moisturiser has a gel-like texture. It’s light-weight, spreads simply into your pores and skin and absorbs quick with out leaving a greasy residue behind. It feels extra like one thing oily pores and skin will love, however dry pores and skin can use it too.
This moisturiser has a clear and refined perfume. It doesn’t actually odor like one thing fancy. I get the sensation the scent is right here simply to cowl up the pure odor of the elements, which isn’t at all times probably the most nice.
Fragrances can irritate delicate pores and skin, so when you have delicate pores and skin, that is for you. Given how refined it’s, I really feel Neutrogena wished to create a scent with solely a minimal danger of irritating pores and skin. But when your pores and skin reacts badly to something, don’t danger it.
How To Use It
Like all moisturisers, you need to use it morning and evening. Within the morning, use it in between serum and sunscreen. At evening, it’s the final step of your skincare routine. If you wish to use a facial oil, use it after this moisturiser. It’s pretty hydrating, so just a few drops shall be sufficient.
The moisturiser is available in a blue jar. It appears fairly and the color jogs my memory of hydration. However it’s not probably the most hygienic. It’s essential clear your palms properly earlier than dipping them into the jar or you could insert micro organism in it which will make the components go unhealthy.
You will have additionally heard that jar packaging exposes elements to gentle and air that makes them go unhealthy sooner. That’s true for antioxidants. However they’re not right here. In actual fact, there’s nothing in right here that’ll go unhealthy when uncovered to gentle and air, so this isn’t a priority for this product.
Efficiency & Private Opinion
If an antiaging cream is what you need, look away. However in the event you’re merely on the lookout for a option to hold your oily pores and skin gentle and hydrated in the summertime warmth, Neutrogena Hydro Enhance Water Gel is it. However, use an antioxidant serum beneath it. Antioxidants are too vital to be unnoticed of your skincare fully.
Now, for the main points…The cream has a light-weight, gel-like texture that absorbs instantly and dries to a barely matte end – the proper base for make-up.
It doesn’t really feel greasy. It doesn’t make your pores and skin shiny. It doesn’t trigger breakouts. For those who’re the type of lady who hates moisturizer, this will likely simply make you modify your thoughts (however, use that antioxidant serum first! – Sure, it bears repeating…).
So what does it do? It makes your pores and skin softer and smoother and plumps up advantageous strains and wrinkles – similar to any hydrating moisturiser ought to.
How Does Neutrogena Hydro Enhance Water Gel Evaluate To Neutrogena Hydro Enhance Gel Cream Moisturiser?
Neutrogena Hydro Enhance Water Gel and Neutrogena Hydro Enhance Gel Cream Moisturiser have very related, virtually equivalent formulation. They each use Hyaluronic Acid and glycerin to deeply hydrated your pores and skin and silicones to create a protecting barrier on the pores and skin that holds moisture in and fills in advantageous strains and wrinkles, so they give the impression of being smaller. The principle distinction? The cream model makes use of thickeners that give the components a richer texture that makes it extra appropriate for dry pores and skin.
How Does Neutrogena Hydro Enhance Water Gel Evaluate To The Different Neutrogena Moisturisers?
- Neutrogena Clear & Defend Oil-Free Moisturiser (£5.49): An oil-free components to hydrate oily pores and skin with out including extra oil to it. It’s enriched with chamomile and aloe vera to appease pores and skin, making it a great choice for greasy pores and skin that’s additionally delicate. There are just a few drops of exfoliating salicylic acid to unclog pores. Use it solely each different evening. Accessible at Boots and Sephora.
- Neutrogena Clear & Soothe Moisturiser (£6.20): A really primary, hydrating components with turmeric and panthenol to appease pores and skin. I discover the components underwhelming, however if you’d like a no-frills components that hydrates pores and skin with out breaking the financial institution, this’ll do the job. Accessible at Boots and Sephora.
- Neutrogena Hydro Enhance Metropolis Protect Hydrating Lotion (£13.49): A easy, hydrating moisturiser with SPF that makes pores and skin softer and smoother. It protects from UV rays provided that you apply it generously – such as you would a sunscreen. I discover the components very underwhelming, however if you’d like some SPF in your moisturiser, this’ll do. Accessible at Boots.
- Neutrogena Hydro Enhance Sleeping Cream (£12.99): I don’t advocate this moisturiser as a result of it has a giant dollop of lemon peel extract. It has no advantages to your pores and skin and it’s irritating.
- Neutrogena Pores and skin Detox Twin Motion Moisturiser (£9.99): There’s NOTHING right here that may detox pores and skin. This can be a job to your liver. Once more, that is one other primary components that moisturises pores and skin. It does have a few antioxidants that struggle air pollution earlier than it generate the free radicals that offer you wrinkles. However, that’s it. Accessible at Look Unbelievable.
- Neutrogena Refreshingly Clear Oil-Free Moisturiser (£5.00): An oil-free moisturiser with glycerin to hydrate pores and skin, aloe vera to appease, and salicylic acid to exfoliate and unclog pores. Use it solely each different day. Accessible at Boots and Sephora.
What I Like About Neutrogena Hydro Enhance Water Gel
- Light-weight, fast-absorbing gel texture.
- Hydrating, it makes pores and skin softer and smoother.
- Plumps up advantageous strains and wrinkles, so they give the impression of being smaller.
- Inexpensive value.
What I DON’T Like About Neutrogena Hydro Enhance Water Gel
- Perfume will be irritating.
- Jar packaging just isn’t hygienic.
- Doesn’t have anti-aging advantages.
Who Ought to Use This?
Everybody can use this moisturiser, however it’s extra appropriate for greasy pores and skin resulting from its skill to deeply hydrate pores and skin with out including extra oil to it. Simply watch out when you have delicate pores and skin – perfume can irritate it.
Does Neutrogena Hydro Enhance Water Gel Stay Up To Its Claims?
|Neutrogena® Hydro Enhance Water Gel immediately quenches dry pores and skin and retains it trying clean, supple and hydrated day after day.||True. However dry pores and skin might have to seal it with an oil or the additional moisture will evaporate out once more.|
|Our award-winning and greatest promoting water gel components absorbs rapidly and immediately delivers intense hydration.||True.|
Is Neutrogena Cruelty-Free?
Neutrogena just isn’t cruelty-free. It checks merchandise on animals, both themselves or by means of a 3rd celebration, so as to have the ability to promote in China.
Worth & Availability
The Verdict: Ought to You Purchase It?
For those who’re on a price range and wish a hydrating cream that gained’t clog your pores or offer you breakouts, this can be a good choice to contemplate.
Dupes & Alternate options
- Cetaphil Facial Hydrating Lotion (£14.50): It makes use of glycerin, hyaluronic acid, and urea to deeply hydrate pores and skin and plump it up with out inflicting breakouts. Accessible at Boots.
- Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream ($52.00): I do know that is dearer. However it additionally has ceramides to strengthen your pores and skin’s protecting barrier towards environmental aggressors and antioxidants to stop untimely ageing. Accessible at Magnificence Bay, Cult Magnificence, Sephora, and Ulta.
Aqua, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Trehalose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Cetearyl Olivate, Dimethiconol, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Sodium Olivate, Laureth-7 Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum, CI 42090. [PR-0000947]