In the hunt for a hands-off, simple aspect dish? Time to outsource the work to your stress cooker and provides these creamy Prompt Pot Mashed Potatoes a strive!
Wealthy, Parmesan-topped, and peppered with recent herbs, these luscious, creamy mashed potatoes are the stuff of meal legend.
Serve them at a gathering, and put together to have your loved ones request this actual recipe on repeat! You’ll be the Mashed Potato Queen/King, an honorable title certainly.
Much like my emotions about Home made Goat Cheese Scalloped Potatoes, till I began making these explicit mashed potatoes, they had been my least favourite merchandise at a vacation feast (blasphemy, I do know!).
Oven Roasted Potatoes? Gimme that crispy goodness.
However mashed potatoes? I didn’t get what the fuss was all about.
Certain, I put a scoop of mashed potatoes on my plate on the holidays beside my Roast Turkey—to omit them would one way or the other really feel mistaken—however my coronary heart was by no means in it. I’d a lot fairly devour an additional serving of Wholesome Candy Potato Casserole.
These fluffy on the spot pot mashed potatoes, nonetheless? I CANNOT GET ENOUGH.
5 Star Assessment
“Completely superb! I didn’t suppose mashed potatoes might be this good!”
— Christi —
Why Use an Prompt Pot for Mashed Potatoes?
Now that I’ve found the great thing about cooking potatoes within the Prompt Pot, I truly desire the Prompt Pot model to the stovetop model.
- The prep is much extra easy.
- The potatoes prepare dinner extra rapidly.
- The ensuing texture is much superior.
This Prompt Pot mashed potatoes recipe will not be solely dangerously easy to organize, however it’s additionally extremely versatile.
The probabilities are infinite, that means you’ll by no means develop weary of them.
And, with the lighter spin this recipe affords, you possibly can allow them to be the trusty aspect dish you possibly can flip to any evening of the week!
Steam or Boil: The Nice Debate
In case you’re like me, you in all probability grew up having mashed potatoes (or Mashed Candy Potatoes) comprised of boiled potatoes.
Whereas boiling is basic, steaming potatoes for mashed potatoes (as executed within the Prompt Pot) is the place the magic is.
- Steaming potatoes ensures they take up simply sufficient moisture to prepare dinner with out turning into waterlogged.
- Steaming preserves the potatoes’ texture and pure, earthy taste to yield the fluffiest, most flavorful, finest mashed potatoes ever!
(In case you want one other preparation methodology, Crockpot Mashed Potatoes are the perfect of each worlds!)
The right way to Make Creamy Prompt Pot Mashed Potatoes
For this recipe, I set out in earnest to create mashed potatoes that might proper all the pieces I deemed mistaken with most mashed potato recipes.
Goodbye, watery, bland, gummy, and grease-oozing mashed potatoes.
Hi there, creamy, dense (in a great way), herby, evenly tangy mashed potatoes of my desires!
- Yukon Gold Potatoes. I do know that amongst mashed potato lovers, there’s a scorching debate over which potato makes the perfect mashed potatoes. Russets are the commonest alternative. Truthfully? They aren’t my fave (apart from Hasselback Potatoes). I personally suppose Yukon gold potatoes are finest for mashed potatoes. Whereas they might yield a extra dense mashed potato, their superior, almost-buttery taste and creamy texture are what seal the deal for me.
- Herbs. Mashed potatoes are extremely mild-mannered on their very own. A handful of recent chives brings them to life, and recent thyme provides them a savory style. (Herbs are additionally key for Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes.)
- Greek Yogurt. My swap for bitter cream, cream cheese, or milk in mashed potatoes that provides creaminess (and a lift of protein) with much less saturated fats and ldl cholesterol. This recipe makes use of what’s going to really feel like an extreme quantity, however belief me and go together with it. Its thickness and physique make the mashed potatoes style decadent, and the sunshine tang provides the mashed potatoes a richer taste.
- Parmesan. I like the salty sharpness that the ultimate sprinkle of Parm on high of the mashed potatoes provides. I’ve a recommended quantity, however be at liberty to be extra liberal should you like. (Love tacky potatoes? You’ll rave over this Hash Brown Casserole.)
- Add water and salt to the Prompt Pot. Place the potatoes in a steamer basket within the pot. Stress prepare dinner for 8 minutes on HIGH stress to steam potatoes within the Prompt Pot. Launch the stress.
- Drain the pot, then return the cooked potatoes to it.
- Add the remaining components.
- Mash the potatoes. DIG IN!
Whereas I like the convenience of the Prompt Pot, you can even make this identical recipe on the stovetop:
- Peel and minimize potatoes into 1 1/2-inch-thick spherical slices. Place in a medium saucepan and canopy with chilly water so that you’ve a minimum of 1 inch above the potatoes. Stir in 2 teaspoons salt.
- Carry to a simmer to a low simmer and preserve at a low simmer the entire time the potatoes prepare dinner, adjusting the warmth as wanted. On the 18-minute mark, begin testing the potatoes for doneness. Regulate the cooking time as wanted. As quickly as a paring knife slides into the center of one of many potato slices simply, drain instantly. Proceed with the recipe as directed.
- To Retailer. Hold leftovers in an hermetic container with a lid for 3 to 4 days within the fridge to protect their deliciousness.
- To Reheat. Reheat potatoes gently within the microwave or on the range with a splash of milk to maintain them from drying out.
- To Freeze. I don’t suggest freezing these mashed potatoes, as their texture might grow to be mealy as soon as thawed.
Meal Plan Tip
For finest outcomes, make the recipe as much as 1 day upfront. Cowl the potatoes tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate them. Reheat them gently in a bowl set over simmering water, thinning with a little bit of milk as wanted and stirring each 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan simply earlier than serving.
Advisable Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Greatest Prompt Pot
The Prompt Pot is a superb approach to velocity up cooking occasions and create one-pot meals. It’s one in all my favourite kitchen home equipment!
After you strive making mashed potatoes in a stress cooker as soon as, I promise you’ll be an “on the spot” convert to this excellent aspect dish recipe.
Continuously Requested Questions
You possibly can preserve mashed potatoes heat within the Prompt Pot for 1 to 2 hours. Flip your Prompt Pot to the “preserve heat” setting, and stir the potatoes often, including milk or broth in the event that they grow to be too thick.
An Prompt Pot steamer basket is a particular add-on that’s particularly designed to be inserted into your Prompt Pot to assist steam your meals. Some fashions include a steamer basket, however you can even purchase them individually on-line. I extremely suggest utilizing the basket because it ensures the potatoes don’t absorb an excessive amount of water in the course of the cooking course of.
This tragedy isn’t distinctive to Prompt Pot mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes ready utilizing any methodology can grow to be glue-like or gummy if they’re overworked in a meals processor, electrical mixer, or immersion blender. Additionally, you should definitely mash the potatoes instantly after cooking, as they will grow to be gummy in the event that they sit for an prolonged interval after steaming or boiling.
Whereas I do know recipes for entire Prompt Pot mashed potatoes exist, this isn’t one in all them. To ensure that the potatoes to steam in 8 minutes, you actually do want to chop them into 1-inch cubes. As for peeling, you’re welcome to depart them on should you desire Prompt Pot mashed potatoes pores and skin on for some further fiber.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup Greek yogurt at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated (plus additional to taste)
- TIP: If the potatoes are thicker than you would like at any point, stir in milk 1 tablespoon at a time until your desired consistency is reached.
- TO KEEP WARM: To keep the potatoes warm before serving, place them in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap and stir the potatoes occasionally to ensure that they heat evenly.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight storage container for 3 to 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Reheat potatoes gently in the microwave or on the stove with a splash of milk to keep them from drying out.
- TO FREEZE: I do not recommend freezing this mashed potato recipe since the texture of the potatoes can become mealy once thawed.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: For best results, make the recipe up to 1 day in advance. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, reheat gently in a bowl set over simmering water, thinning with a bit of milk as needed and stirring every 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan just before serving.
- TO MAKE ON THE STOVETOP: Peel and cut potatoes into 1 1/2-inch-thick round slices. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water so that you have at least 1 inch above the potatoes. Stir in 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a simmer to a low simmer and keep at a low simmer the whole time the potatoes cook, adjusting the heat as needed. At the 18-minute mark, start testing the potatoes for doneness. As soon as a paring knife slides into the middle of one of the potato slices easily, drain immediately. Proceed with the recipe as directed above.
Serving: 1(of 8)Calories: 161kcalCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 6gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 13mgFiber: 3gSugar: 2g
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.