Subsequent time you’re craving a smoothie, put down the straw, decide up a bowl and spoon, and deal with your self to a satisfying breakfast or snack with this wholesome Smoothie Bowl.
A smoothie bowl is a thick smoothie that’s served in a bowl, completed with quite a lot of toppings, and loved by the spoonful reasonably than sipped via a straw.
My smoothie bowl recipe is a flavorful mixture, together with blended berries, banana, and spinach.
Trip in a Bowl
Smoothie bowls are considered one of my favourite issues to deal with myself to on heat climate holidays (and virtually a lifestyle in Cali!).
There’s a purpose these are all the craze.
Like your avocado toast (I like this Bagel Egg in a Gap with Smashed Avocado model), the smoothie bowl is right here to remain.
The nice factor is smoothie bowls usually are not a type of dishes you get on trip and discover too tough to recreate at residence.
- When having them as a meal, like for breakfast, it mentally feels extra satisfying to eat with a spoon reasonably than via a straw.
- They’re customizable to your cravings, with limitless taste and topping combos.
Deliver the holiday to you (and save on prices!) by making your personal smoothie bowl.
Why Smoothie Bowls Are Wholesome
- Fruits and Veggies. Nutrient dense, smoothie bowls include quite a lot of vegetables and fruit, delivering quite a few nutritional vitamins and minerals in each chew.
- Protein Packed. You possibly can add nut butters and protein powder to your smoothie bowl to up the protein, protecting you full longer and rounding out the smoothie to an entire, satisfying meal.
- Child-Pleasant. Smoothie bowls are a enjoyable method for teenagers to get their vegetables and fruit! You possibly can sneak in a handful of spinach, like on this Blueberry Spinach Smoothie, and they’re going to have enjoyable sprinkling on their very own toppings.
- Adaptable for Particular Diets. Made with complete components, smoothie bowls could be vegan, and will also be dairy free based mostly on the kind of milk you select. Moreover, they’re gluten-free.
- Naturally Sweetened. With out many added sweeteners (store-bought smoothies are sometimes loaded with them!), smoothie bowls’ energy could be managed.
Wish to Go Inexperienced?
If greens are what you’re after, I undoubtedly have you ever coated on this smoothie bowl recipe, in addition to quite a few different wholesome smoothie recipes on my web site.
I’ve perfected the recipes so the leafy greens’ taste just isn’t distinguishable, delivering a candy and satisfying smoothie, resembling these:
The best way to Make a Smoothie Bowl
You recognize making a smoothie is simple, so why not strive it in a bowl?
This inexperienced and berry smoothie bowl recipe is made from spinach, banana, blended berries, nut butter, and milk, plus protein powder in case you like.
After making your smoothie “base,” you’ll end off your bowl with the enjoyable half: toppings!
- Milk. I like the creaminess of unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my smoothies.
- Spinach. Wealthy in quite a lot of nutritional vitamins, resembling vitamin A, C, Okay, iron, and folate, spinach is a strong smoothie addition. It is also excessive in fiber, serving to with digestion and protecting you full longer.
When utilizing greens, place these in your blender first. It will hold them nearer to the blade, serving to them break down totally. Nobody desires their smoothie to be half salad.
- Banana. Bananas work properly in smoothies as a result of they add substance, making them candy and creamy. Moreover, bananas are filled with potassium, vitamin B6, and vitamin C.
Have smoothie-ready frozen banana chunks readily available in your freezer!
- Peel and slice overly ripe bananas. A riper banana = a sweeter banana, and thus a sweeter smoothie.
- Flash-freeze sliced bananas by laying them in a single layer on a baking sheet or plate, then place within the freezer for half-hour.
- Switch frozen banana slices to a freezer-safe hermetic container. Ziptop baggage work nice for this.
- Berries. Combined berries include a mix of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries. Use berries which can be frozen, which can hold the smoothie good and chilly. Berries are loaded with antioxidants and nutritional vitamins.
- Nut Butter. Almond butter or peanut butter add wholesome fat to the smoothie, making it additional satiating. Cashew butter would even be tasty.
- Protein Powder. A scoop of vanilla protein powder will up the protein content material, which may help with exercise restoration, spherical out your smoothie bowl to an entire meal, and hold you full.
- Honey or Pure Maple Syrup. Non-obligatory, in case you favor your smoothie a bit sweeter.
High It Off (Decide All or a Few!)
Smoothie bowl toppings to strive:
- Recent banana slices
- Recent berries, resembling blueberries, raspberries, or sliced strawberries
- Granola, like my Wholesome Granola or Gluten Free Granola
- Chia seeds
- Drizzle of almond butter or peanut butter
- Chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Nuts and seeds, resembling pepitas, sunflower seeds, walnuts, or almonds
- Put milk, spinach, fruit, and nut butter in blender.
- Add protein powder (if utilizing).
- Mix till easy. Serve in bowl with desired toppings. ENJOY!
Smoothie Bowl Concepts
Listed here are a number of different taste profiles and combos I feel could be tantalizing!
- Tropical. Smoothie base of banana, mango, and pineapple, topped with coconut flakes and granola.
- Peaches and Cream. Use my Peach Smoothie as a base (use much less milk to make thicker), and high with pecans and vanilla Greek yogurt.
- Tremendous Meals. Make a thicker Beet Smoothie for the smoothie bowl, and sprinkle chia seeds, pepitas, and blueberries on high. Hi there, well being!
- Apple Pie. With Apple Smoothie as the bottom, high your bowl with banana slices and a sprinkle of oats.
- To Retailer. Smoothie bowls are greatest loved freshly after mixing for one of the best texture. Nonetheless, in case you do must hold it for later, retailer smoothie bowls with out the toppings in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 1 day.
- To Freeze. Freeze smoothies in hermetic, freezer-safe jars for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than having fun with, switch to bowl, after which add desired toppings.
Meal Prep Tip
This recipe yields one smoothie bowl, however it may be multiplied for a family, or frozen in particular person containers (I like pouring them into glass canning jars) for future single-servings of smoothie bowls on demand.
Really useful Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Blender. This blender is excessive energy to get your smoothie additional easy; it will probably deal with nuts and greens no downside. This is a extra economical choice that additionally works nice.
- Glass Jars. Glass canning jars making storing (and freezing!) smoothies for later straightforward.
Blender that Doesn’t Break the Financial institution
In case you can’t spring for the gold-standard blender, Vitamix, this one will nonetheless do a fantastic job mixing up all of your smoothies. Plus, it comes with a separate blade for journey cups and two cups, you don’t should get your huge blender soiled for making only one smoothie.
You’ll by no means tire of your smoothie sport in case you change it up with a smoothie bowl. See why these are all the craze and spoon one up in the present day!
Regularly Requested Questions
For a similar purpose that typically you’re within the temper for a spooning a bowl of ice cream drizzled with sizzling fudge and sprinkles versus a licking cone of ice cream, a smoothie bowl is only a totally different solution to get pleasure from a wholesome smoothie. For me, smoothie bowls mentally really feel extra meal-like, plus I like the crunchy toppings.
Not solely are smoothies a fantastic car for getting a mess of vegetables and fruit in a single dish, but in addition a solution to replenish on wholesome proteins, fibers, and fat. Whereas I’m not a dietician, so you must communicate together with your physician, smoothie bowls may help with weight reduction as a result of you’ll keep full longer, which may help curb potential unhealthy snacking.
You can also make a thicker smoothie for serving as a smoothie bowl by including extra banana (or different frozen fruit), utilizing much less milk and/or including Greek yogurt.
For the Smoothie Bowl:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of alternative
- 1 cup contemporary spinach
- 1/2 massive banana lower into chunks and frozen (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup frozen blended berries
- 1 tablespoon almond butter peanut butter, or nut butter of alternative
- 1/2 to 1 scoop protein powder non-compulsory
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup non-compulsory
- Excessive-powered blender resembling a Vitamix
For Toppings (decide all or a number of):
- Recent banana slices
- Recent berries resembling blueberries, raspberries, and/or sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons granola
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- Drizzle almond butter or peanut butter
Place the smoothie bowl components in a high-powered blender within the order listed: almond milk, spinach, banana, berries, almond butter, and protein powder (if utilizing). Mix till easy. The smoothie will likely be VERY thick. Cease to scrape down the blender a number of instances as wanted and add a bit of extra almond milk whether it is fully caught. Style and if you want the smoothie sweeter, add honey or pure maple syrup till your preferrred style is reached.
Scrape right into a serving bowl. Add your required toppings. Get pleasure from instantly.
- TO STORE: Smoothie bowls are greatest loved freshly after mixing for one of the best texture. Nonetheless, in case you do must hold it for later, retailer smoothie bowls with out the toppings in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 1 day.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze smoothies in hermetic, freezer-safe jars for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than having fun with, switch to bowl after which add desired toppings.
Serving: 1 12-oz bowlEnergy: 288kcalCarbohydrates: 46gProtein: 6gFats: 12gSaturated Fats: 1gPolyunsaturated Fats: 3gMonounsaturated Fats: 6gLdl cholesterol: 1mgPotassium: 590mgFiber: 8gSugar: 30gVitamin A: 2922IUVitamin C: 17mgCalcium: 254mgIron: 2mg
Be a part of in the present day and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.