With regards to simple Tex-Mex recipes, King Ranch Hen Casserole is actually a king. Loaded with hen, tortillas, bell peppers, and cheese, you’ll end all the factor by yourself. The key to its creaminess? Creamy, condensed soup.
Straightforward King Ranch Hen Casserole Recipe
Filled with traditional Tex-Mex flavors, King Ranch hen is a creamy, layered casserole made with handy elements like shredded hen and canned soups. Seasoned with cumin, chili powder, and oregano, it’s an ode to the lone star state.
Splendidly spicy and smokey, a number of melty cheese provides richness to chop by all of the spices on this recipe. Including poblanos and candy corn can add sweetness and crunch to this already flavorful oven-baked celebration. Made in a single pan and a single baking dish, you’ll love that it’s a straightforward clean-up meal too.
In a nutshell, if you happen to like my Crack Hen recipe(s), you’ll LOVE this casserole simply as a lot! 💕
What Is King Ranch Hen?
King Ranch is a well-liked potluck dish in Tex-Mex delicacies. It’s a layered casserole made with tortillas, shredded hen, canned soup, bell peppers, spices, and many cheese. It’s sliced and served with toppings like bitter cream, salsa, cilantro, diced onion, and avocado.
Why Is It Referred to as King Ranch Hen?
King Ranch hen dates again to Texas within the Forties and Nineteen Fifties when canned soup was a kitchen staple due to the battle. It’s named after King Ranch in southern Texas, the most important ranch on this planet. Nonetheless, the recipe wasn’t first made there. It has extra to do with the truth that it’s a Tex-Mex recipe with fashionable ranch-style elements.
Filled with Tex-Mex flavors, don’t overlook to examine the recipe card on the backside of the publish for full ingredient quantities.
- Butter: Use salted or unsalted butter.
- Olive oil: Vegetable, corn, and canola oil work too.
- Yellow onion: White onion is an effective substitute.
- Crimson bell pepper: You can too use a three-pack of crimson, inexperienced, and yellow bell peppers.
- Inexperienced bell pepper
- Shredded cooked hen
- Floor cumin
- Chili powder: This isn’t the identical as crimson pepper flakes.
- Dried oregano: Go away it out if you happen to’re not a fan.
- Canned cream of mushroom soup: I like Campbell’s however be happy to make use of your favourite.
- Canned cream of hen soup
- Canned diced tomatoes with inexperienced chile peppers: Rotel is my favourite model, however you too can use common canned tomatoes and add jalapeño to style.
- Cheddar cheese: Any sharp cheese is nice for this recipe. Monterey Jack, pepper Jack, Muenster, and even mozzarella will work.
- Corn tortillas: Flour tortillas will make a extra burrito-style Ranch hen.
Easy methods to Make King Ranch Hen Casserole
Can something actually go improper with a tacky, creamy oven-baked casserole? I believe not.
- Put together the baking dish. Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Grease a 9×13″ baking dish with cooking spray. Set it apart.
- Cook dinner the peppers. Soften the butter in a big pan over medium-high warmth. Add the olive oil, onions, and bell peppers. Stir effectively and cook dinner for 4 minutes or till the peppers have softened.
- Add the hen. Combine the hen into the pan. Add the cumin, chili powder, and dried oregano. Combine effectively to mix.
- Add the soups. Pour within the cream of mushroom soup, cream of hen soup, and canned tomatoes. Stir to mix. Take away it from the warmth.
- Assemble it. Organize 1/3 of the tortillas on the underside of the baking dish. High it with 1/3 of the hen combination after which sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat with the remainder of the elements. Make sure that the ultimate layer is cheese.
- Bake. Pop the baking dish into the oven and bake for 25 to half-hour. As soon as the cheese is melty and bubbly, take away it from the oven and serve.
Ideas for Success
Following the following pointers would possibly make the homeowners of King Ranch invite you over to make this dish for them.
- Use tortilla chips. Since they’re going to soak up the moisture from the filling and soften anyhow, you possibly can go forward and use tortilla chips as a substitute. Nonetheless, you have to to considerably cut back the quantity of salt you add to the recipe.
- Use poblanos. Exchange the inexperienced bell peppers with poblanos. They’ll present comparable sweetness however change the flavour sufficient to maintain issues thrilling.
- Use leftover cheese. Shred all of the bits of leftover cheese (Howdy Feta!) you have got within the fridge and use them on this recipe. It’ll be like a novel cheese mix.
- Line it with foil. For simple clean-up, line the baking dish with foil. When you’re performed, throw it out and also you’ll barely have to clean the casserole dish.
- Add corn. Mixing in 1/2-cup of candy corn may also add a little bit of sweetness to the dish.
King Ranch hen is usually served by itself due to how filling it’s. Nonetheless, so long as you management the serving measurement, you will get away with including a few facet dishes to the menu.
Easy methods to Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- Refrigerate any cooled leftovers in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days. You can too cowl the baking dish with foil and refrigerate it.
- To reheat it, microwave it for as much as 2 minutes or till heat. You can too reheat it within the oven at 375˚F for quarter-hour.
Can I Freeze King Ranch Casserole?
- Sure! Wrap the cooled baking dish in foil after which in plastic wrap. Place it in a freezer-friendly bag and freeze it for as much as 3 months.
- You can too slice it and pop it right into a freezer-friendly container.
- Place it within the fridge a day earlier than serving so it has time to thaw. Reheat it as regular.
Extra Straightforward Casseroles
Preheat oven to 375˚F.
Flippantly grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and put aside.
Soften butter and warmth up oil in a big skillet set over medium-high warmth.
Add onions and peppers to the melted butter; cook dinner for 4 minutes, or till tender, stirring incessantly.
Stir within the hen and season with cumin, chili powder, and dried oregano.
Then, add within the condensed soups and tomatoes. Combine and stir till all the things is mixed.
Take away from warmth.
Organize ⅓ of torn tortillas on the underside of the baking dish, then high the tortillas with ⅓ hen combination and ⅓ shredded cheese.
Repeat with two extra layers, ending with shredded cheddar cheese on high.
Bake for 25 to half-hour, or till heated by and bubbly.
Take away from oven and let sit for 8 to 10 minutes earlier than chopping and serving.
- Hen: You will have to make use of cooked hen for this recipe. I virtually all the time use leftover hen breasts or decide up a rotisserie hen from the grocery retailer and shred the white and darkish meat.
- Greens: If you’re pressed for time, use a frozen mixture of onions and bell peppers. Thaw earlier than cooking.
- Condensed Soup: Condensed cream of mushroom (or hen) soup is a concentrated type of soup. It’s thick and creamy. Please don’t use common, skinny mushroom or hen soup in its place on this recipe.
- Make Forward: It is a nice casserole to prep forward. Assemble the casserole, cowl it tightly with foil, and hold it refrigerated for as much as 24 hours. Take it out of the fridge about half-hour earlier than you’re able to bake it.
Energy: 344 kcal | Carbohydrates: 24 g | Protein: 15 g | Fats: 22 g | Saturated Fats: 11 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6 g | Trans Fats: 0.1 g | Ldl cholesterol: 51 mg | Sodium: 837 mg | Potassium: 285 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 2 g | Vitamin A: 982 IU | Vitamin C: 23 mg | Calcium: 353 mg | Iron: 2 mg | Web Carbs: 21 g
Dietary information is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values could fluctuate in response to the elements and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed information.