It’s no secret that Paula’s Selection C15 Booster is my fave Vitamin C serum ever. In case you’re an everyday right here, you’ve heard me rave about this child for years now, so I assumed it was time for it to get a full evaluation.
I do know, I do know. It’s costly. Can’t you simply get one thing from The Atypical? They’ve acquired like a dozen Vitamin C serums. One have to be pretty much as good as this, proper? Fallacious. The Atypical serums are underperforming and no match for this Vitamin C serum. It’s true you don’t have to lay our a fortune to have nice pores and skin. It’s additionally true that low cost skincare should lower corners someplace – and efficiency shouldn’t be it.
Paula’s Selection C15 walks that good stability between efficiency, sensory pleasure, and price ticket. Right here’s what makes this serum stand out from the gang (and a steal in comparison with true legitimate alternate options, like Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day and Skinceuticals CE Ferulic):
About The Model: Paula’s Selection
Paula’s Selection was based by skincare guru Paula Begoun. Paula began her profession as a make-up artist – and was fired from the counter she was working at for telling her prospects the reality about what skincare merchandise might and couldn’t do!
When she determined to start out her skincare line, she adopted the identical ethos. Take Vitamin C serums, for instance. Whereas most manufacturers create Vitamin C serum with barely a drop of this antioxidant in it, Paula turned to science and discovered all of the elements for the proper Vitamin C serum: 15% L-Ascorbic Acid, 1% Vitamin E, and 0.5% Ferulic acid, in an opaque container. And, not like different opponents, didn’t cost you a kidney for it.
So long as Paula was on the helm, you might depend on this model to take a scientific method to skincare. Since she offered it, the brand new formulations have gotten a bit too gimmicky. However this outdated gem nonetheless stands the take a look at of time. Phew!
Key Substances In Paula’s Selection C15 Booster: What Makes It Work?
ASCORBIC ACID TO FIGHT PREMATURE AGING
Ascorbic Acid is the pure and most-effective type of Vitamin C. Right here’s the way it retains your pores and skin younger:
- It fights the free radicals: Free radicals are the little molecules that destroy collagen and elastin, resulting in untimely wrinkles. By destroying them, Vitamin C prevents untimely getting old.
- It brightens the complexion: It provides pores and skin a stunning glow and even helps fade away darkish spots.
- It boosts collagen: Collagen is the protein that retains pores and skin agency. The extra collagen your pores and skin has, the longer you retain it from sagging.
- It enhances solar safety: Vitamin C is NOT a sunscreen and shouldn’t be used as such. However, even the perfect sunscreens let between 1-5% of UV rays by means of. The UV rays that make it by means of can generate free radicals. Vitamin C tackles them, stopping solar injury.
The catch? L-Ascorbic Acid have to be formulated at a pH beneath 3.5 to work its magic. However low pHs may be irritating for delicate pores and skin. If yours can’t tolerate Vitamin C serums, this is the reason. Paula’s Selection C15 Booster has a pH of three, so it’s efficient and never terribly harsh (however it might nonetheless trigger tingling in very delicate pores and skin).
Another factor: L-Ascorbic Acid goes unhealthy inside weeks. You possibly can’t order this serums now, go away it in a drawer for six months, and count on it to nonetheless work if you lastly resolve to make use of it. In case you purchase it now, use it now.
Associated: What’s The Finest Kind Of Vitamin C?
VITAMIN E AND FERULIC ACID TO SUPERCHARGE VITAMIN C
Vitamin C is a robust antioxidants alone. However pair it with its BFFs ferulic acid and vitamin E and it turns into unstoppable.
A examine performed by Duke College has discovered that “its [ferulic acid] incorporation right into a topical resolution of 15% l-ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) and 1percentalpha-tocopherol (Vitamin E) improved chemical stability of the nutritional vitamins (C+E) and doubled photoprotection to solar-simulated irradiation of pores and skin from 4-fold to roughly 8-fold as measured by each erythema and sunburn cell formation. This mixture of pure pure low molecular weight antioxidants offers significant synergistic safety towards oxidative stress in pores and skin and must be helpful for cover towards photoaging and pores and skin most cancers.”
In plain English, when used collectively, ferulic acid, Vitamin C and Vitamin E double their very own solar safety properties and make it easier to struggle untimely wrinkles a lot sooner. Paula’s Selection C15 Booster makes use of the proper mixture: 15% L-Ascorbic Acid, 1% Vitamin E and 0.5% Ferulic Acid.
SODIUM HYALURONATE TO HYDRATE SKIN
Sodium Hyaluronate is a type of Hyaluronic Acid. Hyaluronic Acid is a moisture magnet: it attracts moisture from the atmosphere into the pores and skin, serving to to maintain it hydrated for longer. It’s so highly effective, it may possibly maintain as much as 1000 occasions its weight in water! All that moisture makes pores and skin plumper, softer and brighter. (Moisture is the key behind Korean skincare, keep in mind?)
Struggling to place collectively a skincare routine that minimises wrinkles, prevents untimely getting old, and provides your complexion a youthful glow? Obtain your FREE “Finest Anti-Growing older Skincare Routine” to get began (it options product suggestions + proper software order):
The Relaxation Of The System & Substances
NOTE: The colors point out the effectiveness of an ingredient. It’s ILLEGAL to place poisonous and dangerous elements in skincare merchandise.
- Inexperienced: It’s efficient, confirmed to work, and helps the product do the very best job to your pores and skin.
- Yellow: There’s not a lot proof it really works (at the least, but).
- Crimson: What is that this doing right here?!
- Water: The bottom, and principal solvent, of this product.
- Butylene Glycol: It dissolves different elements and enhances the feel and really feel of the components.
- Ethoxydiglycol: It’s a solvent that helps dissolve different energetic elements within the components. It additionally improves the feel, so it’s extra nice to make use of.
- Glycerin: It’s a humectant that draws water from the atmosphere into your pores and skin and binds it there. Your pores and skin makes use of the additional hydration to develop into softer, smoother, and tackle a dewy glow.
- PPG-26-Buteth-26: It helps the oily and watery components of a components mix collectively fantastically and makes pores and skin softer.
- PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil: It retains the oily and watery components of a components from separating (oil and water don’t combine on their very own, keep in mind?).
- Pentylene Glycol: It’s an emollient that makes pores and skin softer and smoother.
- Hexanoyl Dipeptide-3 Norleucine Acetate: In response to the producer, it may possibly velocity up the pores and skin’s pure exfoliating course of to make your complexion brighter and smoother hydrate pores and skin; and scale back wrinkle depth. I’m certain it does a few of it, however I would like extra unbiased proof earlier than I endorse it, ya know?
- Lecithin (skin-restoring/hydration):
- Panthenol: A.okay.a. vitamin B5, it’s a humectant that will increase hydration into the pores and skin and prevents water loss. Whereas it’s at it, it additionally soothes irritations.
- Bisabolol: The energetic ingredient that provides chamomile its soothing properties. It calms down irritations and reduces redness.
- Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract (skin-softening/chelating agent):
- Propyl Gallate: An artificial antioxidant that fights free radicals and makes the opposite antioxidants right here extra secure and efficient.
- Sodium Gluconate: It attaches to the metallic ions within the water that may spoil the components and neutralises them. This fashion, it extends the shelf lifetime of the serum.
- Sodium Hydroxide: It adjusts the pH of the serum, in order that Vitamin C can work its finest.
- Phenoxyethanol: It’s a preservative that kills micro organism, extending the shelf lifetime of your serum.
- Ethylhexylglycerin: Though it has some hydrating properties, it’s used right here as a preservative to kill any micro organism which will make the serum go unhealthy sooner.
I am keen on the feel of this serum. It’s light-weight to the purpose of runny, which might annoy some individuals. Me, I admire how briskly it absorbs onto my pores and skin. Plus, it’s not greasy and leaves no residue behind. It’s only a pleasure to make use of.
Like all Paula’s Selection merchandise, it’s fragrance-free. I’m completely on board with this alternative. Whereas part of me appreciates a serum that smells like a backyard in full bloom, I do know that perfume is without doubt one of the most irritating elements in skincare. A excessive focus of Vitamin C already has the potential to be irritating for delicate pores and skin – however at the least you’re getting its anti-aging advantages. Perfume is simply irritating with no additional advantages to your pores and skin. Why use it?
How To Use It
I all the time suggest you employ your Vitamin C serum (and that is no exception) within the morning, after cleaning, to supercharge the solar safety out of your sunscreen. You possibly can both use it alone or combine it together with your moisturiser (this dilutes it a little bit). You’ll see outcomes sooner should you use it alone.
The serum is available in a white bottle with orange accents that reminds you of Vitamin C. It’s modern and appears good in your vainness. However does it hold the antioxidants inside protected? Vitamin C, Ferulic Acid, and Vitamin E all go unhealthy when uncovered to mild and air. It doesn’t occur in a single day, however you do desire a packaging that minimise publicity, so your serum shall be efficient for longer. This bottle has a screw on cap which you can exchange with a dropper applicator if you’re prepared to make use of it. It solely dispenses the quantity of product you want and minimises publicity to mild and air, so your antioxidants last more.
Efficiency & Private Opinion
Paula’s Selection C15 Booster is a transparent yellow in color. That’s cool. Simply ensure you use it earlier than it turns brown (the color of demise for Vitamin C). As a rule, the darker the color, the much less efficient Vitamin C turns into.
Like all Vitamin C serums (effectively, these which might be correctly formulated, anyway…), it brightens a uninteresting complexion, provides pores and skin a stunning glow, and helps fade away darkish spots. In fact, don’t count on outcomes in a single day (that’s true for any serum). However, with common use, you’ll see outcomes.
It’s the addition of Vitamin E + Ferulic Acid (at a lower cost than most of its opponents) that makes this vital for me. This combo helps enhance solar safety and forestall wrinkles. However you gained’t see it right away. You must use it consistently for years to get up someday and realise you’re getting old higher than your folks.
Another factor: I’ve resistant pores and skin, so I can use this with none bother. However, in case your pores and skin is delicate, chances are you’ll expertise tingling or stinging. If this occurs, in the reduction of use to a few days per week to construct up tolerance or change to a by-product of Vitamin C.
How Does Paula’s Selection C15 Booster Examine To Paula’s Selection C25 Tremendous Booster?
|C15 BOOSTER||C25 SUPER BOOSTER|
|VITAMIN E AND FERULIC ACID||Sure||No|
|TEXTURE||Light-weight and runny||Clean, silicone-based|
|BEST FOR||Anti-aging||Fading darkish spots|
|SKIN TYPE||Dry, mixture, regular||Resistant pores and skin|
Paula’s Selection C25 Tremendous Booster is an easier components. For starter, you get 25% of L-Ascorbic Acid as a substitute of 15%. That is each good and unhealthy information. Good as a result of it’s in a position to fade away darkish spots sooner. Unhealthy as a result of, at this excessive focus, Vitamin C may be irritating. That is just for individuals with very resistant pores and skin that doesn’t get irritated simply.
Paula’s Selection additionally eliminated Vitamin E and Ferulic Acid. This makes the serum a greater possibility for fading darkish spots than stopping untimely getting old. Its texture is silicone-based, so smoother, light-weight with out being runny.
Paula’s Selection C15 Booster continues to be my fave out of the 2. Until you will have very extreme darkish spots, you don’t want 25% Vitamin C. Plus, with C25 Tremendous Booster, you’re lacking out on the anti-aging advantages of different antioxidants and have the next likelihood of irritation.
How Does Paula’s Selection C15 Compares To Different Standard Vitamin C Serums Like Skinceuticals CE Ferulic?
That’s the million greenback query, proper? There are sooooooo many Vitamin C Serums available on the market, which one is definitely worth the splurge? Let’s discover out:
|PAULA’S CHOICE||DRUNK ELEPHANT||MAELOVE||SKINCEUTICALS||THE ORDINARY||TIMELESS|
|VITAMIN C||15%||15%||15%||15%||Varied %||20%|
|VITAMIN E + FERULIC ACID||Sure||Sure||Sure||Sure||No||Sure|
|TEXTURE||Light-weight and runny||Thicker and sticky||Light-weight||Light-weight||Light-weight lotions and serums||Light-weight and runny|
|IRRITATING POTENTIAL||Low||Low||Low||Low||Low to excessive, relying on the components||Excessive|
- Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day ($78.00): It incorporates the identical energetic mixture, 15% L-Ascorbic Acid, 1% Vitamin E, and 0.5% Ferulic Acid. Plus a giant dollop of marula oil that makes the feel thicker and sticker. It’s additionally extra hydrating, so you probably have dry pores and skin, it’s an excellent decide for you. Accessible at Boots, Cult Magnificence, and SpaceNK.
- MaeLove The GlowMaker ($29.95): Identical combo of energetic elements, 15% L-Ascorbic Acid, 1% Vitamin E, and 0.5% Ferulic Acid. Plus hyaluronic acid and aloe vera to hydrate pores and skin. It’s an excellent purchase should you’re on a price range and your pores and skin isn’t delicate. Accessible at Maelove.
- Skinceuticals CE Ferulic ($169.00): The unique 5% L-Ascorbic Acid, 1% Vitamin E, and 0.5% Ferulic Acid serum. Plus, it’s infused with Hyaluronic Acid to hydrate pores and skin. It’s a easy components that doesn’t have all of the bells and whistles of Paula’s Selection C15, however when it comes to efficiency, it’s nonetheless the perfect available on the market. Accessible at Dermstore and Skinceuticals
- The Atypical Vitamin C Serums: I DON’T suggest The Atypical Serums. None of them comprise the combo of Vitamin C + Vitamin E + Ferulic Acid. Plus, most of them use Vitamin C derivates that haven’t been a lot researched but. They’re cheaper, however you’re getting a subpar efficiency too.
- Timeless Vitamin C + E Ferulic Serum ($17.95): This serum incorporates 20% Vitamin C + 1% Vitamin E + 0.5% Ferulic Acid. 20% Vitamin C works higher at fading away darkish spots, nevertheless it’s additionally extra irritating. This can be a serum just for resistant pores and skin. In case you’re in search of your first Vitamin C serum, this isn’t it. Accessible at Sure Model.
What I Like About Paula’s Selection C15 Booster
- Light-weight texture
- Prevents untimely getting old
- Boosts solar safety
- Brightens the complexion
- Barely hydrating
- Stunning packaging, retains the antioxidants inside secure and efficient for longer
What I DON’T Like About Paula’s Selection C15 Booster
- 15% Vitamin C might irritate delicate pores and skin
Who Ought to Use This?
- Anybody who desires to stop untimely getting old
- Anybody who desires to fade away darkish spots
- Anybody who desires to supercharge their solar safety
- Dry pores and skin
- Uninteresting pores and skin
- Mature pores and skin
As an alternative, I don’t suggest it to acne-prone pores and skin (you’re higher off with vitamin C by-product Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate) or delicate pores and skin (could also be irritating for you).
Does Paula’s Selection C15 Booster Stay Up To Its Claims?
|This concentrated booster with 15% pure vitamin C dramatically brightens uneven pores and skin whereas bettering the looks of wrinkles and fantastic strains.||True.|
|Feather-light, liquid components absorbs rapidly.||True.|
|Diminishes seen indicators of getting old for smoother, brighter, and firmer-feeling pores and skin with a mix of 15% stabilized vitamin C (l-ascorbic acid) at a pH of three.0, potent antioxidants together with vitamin E and ferulic acid, and skin-smoothing peptides. You’ll see dramatically younger-looking and extra radiant pores and skin day after day!||Largely true. I wouldn’t say the outcomes are dramatic, however this serum does work.|
Is Paula’s Selection C15 Booster Cruelty-Free?
Sure, this serum is cruelty-free. The model doesn’t take a look at on animals and doesn’t promote merchandise in nations the place animal testing is required by regulation.
Worth & Availability
The Verdict: Ought to You Purchase It?
Sure! In case you’re in search of an efficient Vitamin C serum (and your pores and skin isn’t delicate or acne-prone), this is without doubt one of the finest available on the market. It really works and doesn’t break the financial institution.
Dupes & Options
- Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day ($80.00): It’s extra hydrating, has a sticky texture, and is healthier suited to dry pores and skin. Accessible at Boots, Cult Magnificence, and SpaceNK.
- MaeLove Glow Booster ($27.95): The most affordable Vitamin C serum on this checklist, it does every thing the others do, nevertheless it incorporates a citrus extract that could be irritating for delicate pores and skin. Accessible at Maelove.
- Skinceuticals CE Ferulic ($169.00): The unique Vitamin C serum, it prices an arm and a leg, nevertheless it works wonders and delivers what it guarantees. Accessible at Dermstore and Skinceuticals.
Water (Aqua), Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C/antioxidant), Butylene Glycol (solvent/texture enhancer), Ethoxydiglycol (solvent/texture enhancer), Glycerin (skin-replenishing), PPG-26-Buteth-26 (emulsifier/skin-softening), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (emulsifier/solubility enhancer), Pentylene Glycol (skin-softening slip agent), Tocopherol (vitamin E/stabilizing antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate (hydration), Hexanoyl Dipeptide-3 Norleucine Acetate (skin-restoring peptide), Lecithin (skin-restoring/hydration), Ferulic Acid (stabilizing antioxidant), Panthenol (vitamin B5/skin-softening, skin-soothing), Bisabolol (skin-soothing), Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract (skin-softening/chelating agent), Propyl Gallate (antioxidant), Sodium Gluconate (chelating agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Phenoxyethanol (preservative), Ethylhexylglycerin (preservative).