You’ll excessive 5 and hug your self each rushed morning and mid-afternoon hanger-o’clock for stocking your freezer with these wholesome breakfast Egg Muffins!
You possibly can pop these healthful muffins into the microwave and reheat them everytime you want a quick, filling breakfast or snack.
- Breakfast egg muffins are baked egg cups (or mini frittatas, in case you favor a barely fancier title; try this Potato Frittata for full-sized) which might be loaded with any number of contemporary vegetable, meat, and/or tacky additions you please.
- You possibly can get pleasure from them on their very own or make them half of a bigger breakfast unfold. (Strive them alongside these Candy Potato Hash Browns or savory Potato Pancakes.)
- Egg muffins are a preferred, wholesome kid-friendly snack or breakfast for infants and toddlers. Their hand-held measurement makes veggies approachable.
I’ve made a number of variations of this egg muffin recipe over time.
In the present day’s mixture for egg muffins with spinach, feta, and a colourful array of veggies is my all-around favourite.
5 Star Evaluate
“Scrumptious and versatile! It’s my new go to sneak some chopped up veggies in with breakfast for my youngsters! The spices weren’t too overbearing however made it tremendous tasty. Coming again to this repeatedly!”
— Anna —
Easy methods to Make Wholesome Egg Muffins
An ideal egg muffin is all about discovering the fitting ratios.
- Egg-to-Vegetable Ratio: The objective right here is to make sure that every of the breakfast egg muffin cups packs a feel-good serving of greens with no) falling aside or b) tasting like a mini salad. I contemplate myself a vegetable fanatic, however even I’ve my limitations earlier than 10 a.m. This Wholesome Breakfast Casserole has it down too.
- Complete-Egg to Egg-White Ratio: After just a few makes an attempt—all of which have been eaten within the title of “analysis,” however a few of which have been extra scrumptious than others—I’ve decided the best whole-egg to egg-white ratio for a batch of egg muffins is 6 entire eggs plus 4 egg whites.
Excessive In Protein, However Not Spongy
- Including just a few further egg whites makes the muffins excessive in protein and low carb, with out dropping their filling, creamy texture.
- I’d not suggest all egg whites, as it will trigger the muffins to collapse and be spongy. Use them to make an Egg White Frittata as a substitute.
- Eggs + Egg Whites. The bottom for our simple egg muffins. As I discussed above, these muffins use the right quantity of every.
- Greens. As a result of I need this recipe to be filling and wholesome, I all the time embody quantity of contemporary greens like spinach, inexperienced and crimson peppers, and cherry tomatoes. You’ll really feel nice beginning your day with a serving of veggies, and if you wish to deliver them to the workplace for lunch, the greens make them a extra full meal.
- Herbs and Spices. As a result of egg-white-heavy recipes may be—there actually isn’t any well mannered technique to say this—SO BORING, we have to jazz these up with loads of herbs and spices. My pantry staples are dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. The combo provides the muffins an Italian-inspired aptitude and enhances the greens and feta.
- Cheese. An elective addition. I used feta, however you should use some other cheese you get pleasure from (a cheddar cheese model I made in my experimental makes an attempt was pleasant).
- Toppings. The choices are countless! Avocado, salsa, sizzling sauce, and freshly chopped parsley are all tasty concepts in case you’re sitting down and have entry to your fridge. In a rush? Simply heat the up and luxuriate in them as they’re.
- GENEROUSLY coat a muffin tin with nonstick spray and add mix-ins.
- Whisk collectively the eggs, egg whites, herbs, and spices.
- Fill every cup, then crumble feta excessive.
- Bake egg muffins at 350 levels for twenty-four to twenty-eight minutes, till set. Let cool, then use a butter knife to loosen the surface of the muffins. Serve sizzling or retailer for later. ENJOY!
Tricks to Stop Sticking
- Nonstick Spray. I can not stress sufficient how essential it’s to generously coat your muffin pan with nonstick spray. These egg muffins love to stay to the pan, so you must put a thick layer of the spray between the eggs and the muffin pan itself.
- Silicone Pan. Strive utilizing a silicone muffin pan and nonstick spray for double the nonstick energy.
- Muffin Liners. I’ve heard from a number of readers that cupcake liners and parchment paper baking cups have been additionally profitable.
Recipe Diversifications + Dietary Swaps
- Tacky Egg Muffins. Making these muffins for veggie skeptics however nonetheless need a serving of wholesome protein? Skip the veggies altogether, and easily use your favourite mixture of cheeses, like Parmesan cheese or goat cheese.
- Spicy Egg Muffins. Should you like your eggs on the spicy facet, you can too add just a few dashes of sizzling sauce or pinch of cayenne.
- Zippy Egg Muffins. Strive including just a few teaspoons of Dijon mustard.
- Egg Muffins with Meat. Tasty however elective. I discovered them a lot satisfying with veggies alone, however in case you’d like so as to add meat, be happy to make this simple breakfast recipe with bacon (I extremely suggest this methodology of Baked Bacon within the Oven for the very best outcomes and best cleanup; you can too make Air Fryer Bacon) or fold in diced cooked ham or cooked, crumbled sausage.
- To Make Keto. No modifications wanted. These are keto egg muffins as written.
- To Make Dairy-Free, Whole30, and Paleo. Omit the cheese. (Should you’re on the lookout for extra Whole30 breakfast recipes, do that Whole30 Breakfast Casserole.)
- Egg Muffins are gluten-free!
- Irrespective of whether or not you select to make wholesome breakfast egg muffins with spinach or choose completely different mix-ins, these muffins are a super canvas for customizing your individual taste journey.
- The customization makes egg muffins nice for teenagers and toddlers, who can have enjoyable filling the muffin tins with their favourite mix-ins.
- To Retailer. Let the muffins cool fully, then place them in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. You possibly can retailer all the muffins collectively in a single bigger container or portion them into particular person containers to take with you on the go. Plastic wrap and even plastic baggies work properly for portability too.
- To Reheat. Unwrap the muffins if wanted, and place on a microwave-safe plate. Reheat gently within the microwave on medium energy till sizzling and warmed by to the middle, about 30 seconds (from thawed) or 1 to 2 minutes (from frozen).
- To Freeze. Let the muffins cool fully, then individually wrap them in plastic wrap. Place them in a ziptop bag and freeze for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge or reheat immediately from frozen.
Meal Prep Tip
Egg muffins are good for breakfast meal prep! You possibly can multiply the recipe and freeze a mess of muffins for future breakfasts on demand.
Beneficial Instruments to Make Wholesome Egg Muffins
- Nonstick Spray. How do you retain egg muffins from sticking? That is the reply. You MUST coat the pans with nonstick cooking spray, or your eggs will stick.
- Muffin Pan. I additionally love this one, which comes with a useful lid.
- Silicone Muffin Pan. My sister and a number of other readers reported utilizing this to bake the egg muffins (additionally with nonstick spray) with roaring success.
All-Star Muffin Pan
This 12-cup cupcake and muffin pan encompasses a fluted floor design that facilitates air circulation and likewise maximizes pan energy, which helps to withstand warping. USA Pan bakeware is sturdy.
Continuously Requested Questions
Sure, you possibly can reheat egg muffins, and that’s a part of their enchantment. The precise cook dinner time it’s essential to reheat the muffins will fluctuate based mostly in your microwave’s energy. Think about the primary one a little bit of an experiment. From there, you’ll without end know the way lengthy you want.
Sure, egg muffins ought to be refrigerated to maintain from spoiling.
You’ll want to use the right whole-egg-to-egg-white ratio as prescribed on this recipe, don’t overmix the eggs, and bake egg muffins at 350 diploma F to stop them from being spongy.
You possibly can take the extra step of sautéing the greens in a skillet over medium warmth earlier than baking within the egg cups to take away any extra moisture from the veggies. Should you expertise wateriness when reheating leftover egg muffins, strive wrapping them in a barely moistened paper towel earlier than reheating within the microwave.
- 1 cup frivolously packed child spinach chopped
- 3/4 cup finely diced crimson bell pepper about 1 small pepper
- 3/4 cup finely diced inexperienced bell pepper about 1 small pepper
- 3/4 cup quartered cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, about 1 cup entire tomatoes
- 6 massive eggs
- 4 massive egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch floor black pepper or cayenne pepper in case you like a bit of kick!
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese plus further to sprinkle on high
- Non-obligatory toppings: avocado salsa, sizzling sauce, freshly chopped parsley
Place a rack within the heart of your oven and preheat to 350 levels F. Frivolously coat a normal 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray. Divide the spinach, crimson bell pepper, inexperienced bell pepper, and tomatoes among the many cups (they are going to be about two-thirds of the best way full).
In a big bowl or massive measuring cup with a spout (my favourite as a result of it makes the combination simple to pour), briskly whisk collectively the eggs, egg whites, salt, basil, oregano, and pepper till properly mixed. Fastidiously fill every muffin cup three-quarters of the best way to the highest with the egg combination. Sprinkle the feta evenly over the tops of the cups.
Bake for twenty-four to twenty-eight minutes, till the egg muffins are set. Let cool for a couple of minutes, after which run a butter knife across the edges of every muffin to loosen it. Take away them from the pan and luxuriate in instantly, or let cool on a wire rack and refrigerate or freeze for later (see notes for extra particulars).
- TO STORE: Let the muffins cool fully, then place them in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. You possibly can retailer all the muffins collectively in a single bigger container or portion them into particular person containers to take with you on the go. Plastic wrap and even plastic baggies work properly for portability too.
- TO REHEAT: Unwrap the muffins if wanted, and place on a microwave-safe plate. Reheat gently within the microwave on medium energy till sizzling and warmed by to the middle, about 30 seconds (from thawed) or 1 to 2 minutes (from frozen).
- TO FREEZE: Let the muffins cool fully, then individually wrap them in plastic wrap. Place them in a ziptop bag and freeze for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge or reheat immediately from frozen.
Serving: 1muffinEnergy: 70kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 8gFats: 3gSaturated Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 96mgSodium: 148mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2g
Be a part of immediately and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.