My baking enthusiasm is inversely associated to the temperature exterior. The extra the temp drops, the extra I need to be within the kitchen with a scorching oven and good firm. The proper recipe for my temper: brilliant, festive Cranberry Orange Muffins.
When the itch to bake will increase close to the vacations, it’s tempting to at all times go for a candy or decadent dessert (my Grandma Dorothy’s Orange Cookies with Cranberries are a treasured favourite this time of yr).
However, we’d like steadiness (and breakfast!) too.
Boasting conventional festive flavors of cranberry and orange, these muffins deliver vacation flavors to wholesome snacks or breakfasts.
Vacation Flavors at Breakfast
Don’t let desserts have all of the enjoyable!
The Finest Cranberry Orange Muffin Recipe
- Scrumptious and Nutritious. Sadly, most bakery muffins (just like the cranberry orange muffins at Starbucks and Panera) are loaded with elements that basically make them cake. No offense to cake meant, however when I’m craving a muffin, I favor it to be scrumptious AND nutritious.
- Healthful Components. This wholesome muffin recipe, made with easy elements you seemingly have in your pantry proper now, is a standout far and above what you’ll discover in a field.
- Contemporary Flavors. The pop of contemporary orange zest and honey baked collectively style like sunshine bursting on a winter day, as these Orange Muffins with Poppyseed show.
- Cranberry! I anxiously await cranberry season every fall as a result of I am keen on contemporary cranberries in baking! There’s one thing particular about taking a fruit that’s contemporary and in-season this time of yr and making magic.
5 Star Evaluation
“Significantly among the best muffin recipes I’ve ever made. There are so a lot better than something retailer purchased. The recipe is easy and so they don’t take lengthy to make.”
— Ashley —
How one can Make Cranberry Orange Muffins from Scratch
I promise these simple cranberry orange muffins can be a pleasant baking exercise destined to fulfill.
I examined a number of iterations to get them exactly best for you.
Some muffin musts:
- Moist and Fluffy. It’s the usual for all of my wholesome muffins recipes.
- Wholesome. These muffins are candy sufficient to steadiness the tartness of the cranberries, however not too candy that they lose their enchantment as a healthful breakfast. (For the perfect of each the cake and muffin world, take a look at these Carrot Cake Muffins.)
- Straightforward. You don’t even want a stand mixer!
- Substantial with out Being Heavy. Whereas these muffins are tender, their texture remains to be sturdy sufficient to help the cranberries and stand as much as their contemporary, brilliant taste.
Cranberry orange muffins are merely fantastic to have round.
Get pleasure from them as a care-free snack, grab-n’-go breakfast amidst busy vacation errands, or make them part of a brunch unfold.
- Cranberries. A jewel of vacation baking. I like contemporary cranberries right here for his or her further burst and luster.
- Milk. You should use any variety you want. When you have some leftover from different vacation baking, you may even make these cranberry orange muffins with buttermilk.
- Orange Zest + Contemporary Orange Juice. These two are the key to that stellar orange taste. The zest is mixed with sugar to maximise its oomph.
- Greek Yogurt. Greek yogurt helps make these muffins further fluffy and moist whereas maintaining them on the wholesome aspect.
- Butter. It’s higher to make use of butter than oil in muffins for richness. Slightly goes a good distance, and I promise it’s 100% value it.
- Flour. All-purpose flour helps preserve the muffins gentle and fluffy, whereas white complete wheat flour packs an added diet punch.
- Cinnamon. Provides a touch of coziness and spice.
- Honey. A scrumptious means so as to add pure sweetness and a unbelievable pair with the orange.
- Orange Glaze. The completion you don’t need to skip. It seems stunning and makes the muffins style further festive.
Having the milk, yogurt, and eggs at room temperature with make the muffins further gentle and fluffy and assist the elements greatest incorporate.
- Add the sugar to a big bowl, then zest the orange excessive.
- Rub the 2 collectively.
- Mix the orange juice, milk, and yogurt.
- Add the dry elements to the sugar combination.
- Add the remainder of the moist elements to the milk combination.
- Whisk till easy.
- Add the moist elements to the dry elements, and stir gently till mixed. Add the cranberries.
- Bake cranberry orange muffins at 400 levels F for 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool fully, then end with the glaze if desired. DIG IN!
- To Retailer. Retailer muffins in a paper towel-lined hermetic container at room temperature on counter for as much as 4 days.
- To Freeze. Freeze muffins in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as three months. Thaw and revel in as desired. I prefer to individually wrap the muffins first, so I can use them for fast breakfasts and snacks.
For much more recommendations on storing your leftovers, take a look at this submit on How one can Retailer Muffins.
Advisable Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Muffin Pan. A must have software for making muffins.
- Batter Scoop. For even baking and a greater rise.
- Whisk. I like the smaller dimension of this whisk.
- Measuring Cups. With these, you may combine and measure in the identical cup!
Important Muffin Scoop
For even baking and the very best attainable muffin rise, use a batter scoop like this one! Plus, it does double obligation for cookie dough and ice cream.
Regularly Requested Questions
No, you don’t want to pre-cook the cranberries earlier than baking the cranberry orange muffins.
In a pinch, you need to use dried cranberries as an alternative of contemporary in muffins. Since dried cranberries are extra compact and sweeter than contemporary, I like to recommend utilizing half of the quantity (on this recipe, that’s about 1/2 cup dried).
If you’re a fan of nuts in your muffins, be at liberty so as to add as much as 1/2 cup. I feel walnuts, pecans, or almonds could be good additions. I like to recommend toasting them previous to mixing into the muffin batter.
FOR THE MUFFINS:
- Zest and juice of 1 orange about 1 tablespoon zest and ½ cup juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk plus further as wanted, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt at room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white complete wheat flour or further all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon floor cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 giant eggs at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/4 cups contemporary or frozen cranberries if frozen, don’t thaw
FOR THE ORANGE GLAZE (non-compulsory however delish!):
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
Place a rack within the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 levels F. Calmly coat a normal 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray or match with paper liners.
Place the sugar in a big mixing bowl. Zest the orange in instantly over the bowl.
Together with your fingers, rub the zest into the sugar till aromatic.
Juice the zested orange into a big (liquid) glass measuring cup. If making the glaze, reserve 1 tablespoon of the juice in a small bowl and put aside. Into the measuring cup, pour sufficient milk to make 1 cup of liquid (the quantity of milk you want will differ primarily based on the juiciness of your orange). Whisk within the Greek yogurt. Put aside when you measure the remainder of the dry elements (it would thicken up a bit).
To the bowl with the sugar, add the all-purpose flour, white complete wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk to mix.
To the bowl with the rested orange juice and milk combination, add the eggs, melted butter, and honey.
Whisk to mix.
Pour the liquid elements over the dry elements. With a rubber spatula, fold gently to mix, stopping as quickly because the flour disappears. The batter can be lumpy. Very gently stir within the cranberries. With a muffin scoop, giant spoon, or measuring cup, divide the batter evenly among the many muffin cups.
Bake the muffins for 20 to 22 minutes, till the tops are golden, the muffins spring again calmly when touched, and a toothpick inserted within the middle of a muffin comes out clear. Place the pan on a wire rack to chill for five minutes, then gently take away every muffin from the pan and place on the rack to complete cooling fully (don’t depart the muffins within the pan for longer or they might begin to steam and turn out to be soggy). The muffins can be very delicate at first however will agency up as they cool.
Whereas the muffins cool, make the glaze: to the bowl with the reserved orange juice, add the powdered sugar. Whisk till easy. Drizzle over the cooled muffins.
- TO STORE: Retailer muffins in a paper towel-lined hermetic storage container at room temperature for as much as 4 days.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze muffins in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Thaw and revel in as desired. I prefer to individually wrap the muffins first, so I can use them for fast breakfasts and snacks.
Serving: 1(of 12) with out glazeEnergy: 186kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 4gFats: 7gSaturated Fats: 4gLdl cholesterol: 43mgPotassium: 171mgFiber: 2gSugar: 12gVitamin A: 266IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 72mgIron: 1mg
Be a part of at the moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.