This weblog is part of a sequence that CDC launched to focus on the significance of affected person security by offering instructional info and easy methods to assist folks keep knowledgeable on public security matters. Learn the weblog beneath, authored by Evelyn McKnight, to be taught extra about stopping unsafe injection practices.
Once I was recognized with breast most cancers in 2000, I by no means anticipated that going to the physician for remedy of 1 life-threatening illness would end in getting one other. Healthcare suppliers reused syringes throughout administration of my chemotherapy, which led to 99 folks, together with me, contracting hepatitis C. I want I might have requested my healthcare supplier questions, even when the dialog was tough. It might have protected so many individuals.
You will need to be an energetic associate in your well being care. Your life, and your loved ones’s lives, might rely upon it. It may be uncomfortable to ask onerous questions as a result of some healthcare suppliers might really feel you’re difficult their ability. Nevertheless, these necessary conversations let you higher perceive what comes subsequent and what to do in case your plan of care wants to vary. Healthcare suppliers need what’s finest for you. They’ll work with you to reply your questions, clarify what to anticipate, and collectively, you possibly can transfer ahead with a plan that’s the finest for you. Asking questions and having candid discussions along with your healthcare supplier can enhance affected person security and even forestall errors that may result in an an infection, as in my case.
Subjects you possibly can focus on along with your healthcare supplier embody:
- Protected Injection Practices: Discuss secure injection practices [PDF – 2 pages] and ask your healthcare supplier, “Will there be a brand new needle and a brand new syringe for this process or injection?” Insist that your healthcare suppliers by no means reuse a needle or syringe on multiple affected person.
- An infection Prevention: Ask your healthcare supplier what they and the power will do to guard you and your loved ones from getting an an infection, together with these brought on by antimicrobial-resistant germs.
- If in case you have a catheter, ask each day when it may be eliminated.
- If you’re having surgical procedure, ask your supplier how they forestall surgical infections. Additionally, ask how one can put together for surgical procedure to scale back your an infection danger.
- Hand Hygiene: Remind healthcare personnel and your guests to clear their arms. Maintain your arms clear with cleaning soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Be sure that everybody cleans their arms earlier than touching you.
- Current Hospitalizations: Inform your docs when you’ve got been hospitalized in one other facility, have lately acquired well being care outdoors of the USA, or have lately had an an infection. This info can assist your supplier decide in the event you’re in danger for sure infections and probably cease them earlier than they begin.
As an energetic associate in my well being care, I’ve needed to ask questions that produced solutions that had been tough for me to listen to.
- What if I don’t have this surgical procedure or remedy?
- What’s my life expectancy?
- What is going to the standard of my life be?
To make the perfect selections about my well being care, I wanted to ask these questions. The solutions gave me info that helped me plan for my future and created an atmosphere of teamwork between my healthcare suppliers and me.
My expertise contracting hepatitis C via unsafe healthcare practices led me to be an advocate for affected person security. My husband and I created the Evelyn and Thomas McKnight Household Fund for Affected person Security via the CDC Basis. The fund awards the McKnight Prize for Healthcare Outbreak Heroes. Its objective is to encourage and reward those that serve and shield sufferers from hurt within the context of healthcare outbreak response in the USA. Nominations for the prize are accepted till February 15, 2023, and will be submitted via this hyperlink: https://www.tfaforms.com/4767549
To be taught extra about be a secure affected person, go to What You Can Do to Be a Protected Affected person.
To be taught extra about stopping unsafe injection practices, go to One and Solely Marketing campaign.
Dr. Evelyn McKnight is a nationally acknowledged affected person security advocate, and survivor of one of many largest viral outbreaks in American healthcare historical past.