Our greatest gingerbread cookie recipe! These festive treats are mushy and warmly spiced, with a wealthy molasses taste. Good for spreading vacation cheer!
What might be extra festive than gingerbread cookies?! With Christmas only a few weeks away, I’m prepared to show up the vacation cheer round right here, and making this gingerbread cookie recipe looks as if an important place to start out. For one, it makes the home odor wonderful, filling it with the comforting aroma of cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. It’s additionally a blast to make–rolling out the dough, reducing out gingerbread folks, baking them, and adorning them as soon as they cool.
However extra necessary than all of that, these gingerbread cookies are scrumptious! They’re mushy, warmly spiced, and richly flavored with molasses and brown sugar. To me, they’re the proper vacation deal with, particularly with a mug of sizzling chocolate to drink. I hope you’re keen on them too.
Gingerbread Cookie Recipe Elements
Right here’s what you’ll must make this gingerbread cookie recipe:
- All-purpose flour – Spoon and stage it to keep away from packing an excessive amount of into your measuring cup.
- Unsalted butter – Enable it to return to room temperature earlier than you begin to bake.
- Brown sugar and molasses – They sweeten the cookies and add wealthy molasses taste. We’ve had success baking these cookies with Healthful and Brer Rabbit blackstrap molasses.
- An egg yolk – It makes the cookies extra-soft and chewy.
- Baking soda – It helps the cookies rise.
- Floor ginger, cinnamon, and cloves – They offer these gingerbread cookies their signature spice.
- Vanilla extract – For heat depth of taste.
- Almond milk – For moisture. Some other milk, comparable to cow’s milk or oat milk, would work right here too.
- And sea salt – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements under.
Find out how to Make Gingerbread Cookies
When you’ve assembled your elements (is your butter at room temperature?), this gingerbread cookie recipe is easy to make:
First, make the dough. Utilizing an electrical mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar collectively till mild and fluffy. Combine within the molasses, egg yolk, and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, whisk collectively the dry elements–the flour, spices, baking soda, and salt. Step by step add the dry elements to the moist combination, mixing after every addition. Lastly, combine within the almond milk.
Then, chill the dough. Divide it into two equal disks, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for at the very least 2 hours. Chilling the dough permits it to agency up, making it simpler to roll out.
Subsequent, roll out the dough. Use a rolling pin to roll out the primary disk on a calmly floured floor till it’s 1/4-inch thick. Use cookie cutters to chop out your required shapes (I at all times do gingerbread males and snowflakes!). Re-roll and reduce out the dough scraps as vital. Repeat with the remaining dough disk.
Lastly, bake the cookies. Prepare the cut-outs on parchment-lined baking sheets, and bake in a 350°F oven till the sides are simply set however the middles are nonetheless mushy. I wish to bake one sheet at time on the middle oven rack in order that the cookies bake evenly. Allow them to cool for five minutes on the baking sheet earlier than transferring them to wire racks to chill utterly.
Adorn, or take pleasure in as they’re!
Gingerbread Cookies Recipe Suggestions
- Don’t skimp on the chilling time. I’m often all for not chilling cookie dough (you get to eat the cookies sooner that method!), however on this recipe, it’s 100% vital. The dough is mushy and sticky while you first combine it collectively. Chilling it for at the very least 2 hours offers it an opportunity to agency up so that you could simply roll it out. The cut-outs additionally maintain their form higher when baked.
- The timing will rely in your cookie cutters. In a different way sized and formed cookies bake at completely different charges! For an ideal mushy texture, I usually bake a 3-inch gingerbread man for 8 minutes. You probably have smaller cut-outs, you’ll doubtless must bake your cookies much less. You probably have bigger cut-outs, you would possibly must go a bit longer.
- Adorning is half the enjoyable. As scrumptious as these mushy gingerbread cookies are plain, they’re even tastier (and extra festive!) with icing on high. For detailed traces and patterns like those in these photos, use the royal icing recipe from this put up. For an easier glaze, stir collectively 1 cup powdered sugar and a pair of tablespoons almond milk, including extra milk as wanted to succeed in your required consistency. Sprinkles, gumdrops, and different candies are enjoyable decorations too!
- Strive to not eat all of them straight away. These gingerbread cookies maintain properly in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 5 days, and I truly like them greatest on day 2 or 3! They change into even softer and chewier, and their spiced taste deepens. These cookies additionally freeze properly. Saved in a freezer bag or container, they maintain for as much as 3 months. They thaw completely at room temperature.
Extra Favourite Christmas Cookies
Should you love these gingerbread cookies, strive certainly one of these festive cookie recipes subsequent:
Our BEST gingerbread cookie recipe! These festive treats are mushy, warmly spiced, and stuffed with scrumptious molasses taste. Adorn with icing (see the information within the put up above for recipes), or take pleasure in plain.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup packed darkish brown sugar
- ⅓ cup unsulphured blackstrap molasses, we just like the Healthful model
- 1 giant egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons floor ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon wonderful sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon floor cloves
- 1 tablespoon almond milk, or any milk
Within the bowl of a stand mixer, or utilizing an electrical mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add the molasses, egg yolk, and vanilla and blend once more.
In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, salt, and cloves. Step by step add the dry elements to the moist elements, mixing after every addition. Combine within the almond milk.
Type the dough right into a ball, divide the ball in half, and flatten every half right into a 1-inch-thick disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for at the very least 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two giant baking sheets with parchment paper.
Roll out the dough on a calmly floured floor till about ¼-inch thick. Use cookie cutters to chop out desired shapes, then switch the cut-outs to the ready baking sheets, re-rolling the dough scraps as vital.
Bake, one sheet at a time, for 7 to 9 minutes, or till the sides of the cookies are simply set however the middles are nonetheless mushy. The cookies might sound underdone, however taking them out at this level will be certain that they keep mushy as soon as they cool. I usually use a 3-inch cookie cutter and bake my cookies for 8 minutes. The precise timing will rely in your oven, the scale of your cookie cutters, and the way mushy or crunchy you want your gingerbread cookies.
Let cool on the baking sheet for five minutes earlier than transferring to a wire rack to chill utterly. Adorn as desired.